By Christa Chantelois BSN, MAC
Self-trust is the first secret of success.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Trust. Take a moment and notice what just happened in your mind and body when you read the word trust. Loaded and layered right?! It might have opened up Pandora’s proverbial box of issues and triggers around trusting self; your body, your decisions, your feelings! And then there’s always the broader trust: your boss, your partner, the government. As most things that hold the potential for great transformation in how you experience life – it begins within.
Breathe! Gabrielle Bernstein, a world-renowned author and speaker, assures you that you are not alone in this. “You are always being guided. Even when it doesn’t feel like it.” By the way, it’s ok to ask for guidance along the way. Key elements in building trust within yourself include, but are not limited to: nourish hope, work on forgiveness of self and others, remember trust is to be earned not lightly given away, be still and listen to the quiet whisper of your wisdom, strengthen your intuition. Everyone has intuition and it is a powerful guidance system. And remember, building trust is a growth process. It does not and cannot happen overnight. Be patient and gentle during this step-by-step development. Thich Nhat Hanh writes that “peace is every step.” Trust is as well.
Here is a beautiful exercise, from the University of Minnesota, on strengthening your intuition:
“Focus your love.
- Find a spot to sit comfortably.
- Identify something you really love to do or a place that you love.
- Using your imagination, allow what you identified to ‘fall into’ your heart area and nest there for the duration of the exercise.
- Inhale on the count of ‘1’ and exhale on the count of ‘2’ however imagine that it is your heart that is breathing.
- Allow your ‘heart breath’ to caress your thoughts as it moves in, through, and around the nest.
- After 5 minutes of caressing the thing or place your love, invite your thoughts to return to your head area.
- Focus on your breathing heart.
- Use your intuitive senses to know what gift of understanding has been left or been born in the nest.
- If nothing is there, let it go for the moment.”
Fill your love tank, possibly never quite full enough, with SELF-LOVE. With the absence of self-love our inner guidance system is clouded by a veil of mis-perception due to looking for our answers and love outside of ourselves rather than inside. This requires a willingness to be open to compassion. Dr. Wayne Dyer said, “The practice of compassion is something we have to try on, see how we fit in us.”
“Compassion is, by nature, peaceful and gentle, but it also very powerful. It is the true sign of inner strength.” The Dalai Lama
Beginning to trust in yourself, inside at your core, leads to it overflowing and covering the world like a comforting, healing blanket.
Let It Begin!!!
Published in Nature’s Pathways, May 2018